Spitzbuben (swiss sandwich cookies)
Preparation Time: 1 hour + 2 hours resting time
Baking Time: 10-12 minutes
Spitzbuben will keep well in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks.
• 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 1/8 cups ground almonds (almond flour)
• 1 cup powdered sugar
• 1 pinch of salt
• 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
• 7 oz. (1 3/4 sticks) butter, cold & cut into small pieces
• 1 egg
• 3/4 cup raspberry jam, or other red jam
• powdered sugar for dusting
1. In a large bowl, bring together the flour, almonds, powdered sugar, salt, and butter. Add the vanilla extract to the egg and whisk lightly with a fork. Add the egg mixture and the butter pieces to the dry ingredients.
2. Work the dough with your fingers, rubbing the butter into the flour until you have a breadcrumb-like consistency. Work the mixture a little more with your hands until it comes together. Do not overwork the dough. The crumbliness of the dough ensures a crisp and crunchy cookie.
3. Form the dough into a disc, wrap in cling-film and leave to rest in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
4. Line the baking trays with parchment paper, pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
5. Halve the dough and on a lightly floured surface, roll out to about 1/8” thick.
6. Using a cookie cutter shape of your choice, cut out shapes, re-rolling the dough, until it is finished. Using an apple corer or another mini cookie cutter shape, cut out the center of half of the cookies.
7. Lay out the cookies on the baking tray and bake 10-12 minutes until golden.
8. Stir the jam until smooth (adding a teaspoon of brandy or fruit liqueur if desired), and place a quarter-sized drop of jam on the whole cookie-halves.
9. Press this together with a cut-out cookie and leave to cool. When cool, dust with powdered sugar.